National Night Out - 2014
National Night Out has been an annual event on the first Tuesday of every August for the past 30 years. The 2014 National Night Out is scheduled for Tuesday, August 5. It is a citywiide celebration that includes all segments of the community to "Give Drugs & Crime a Going Away Party!"
This will continue to build stronger, healthier, neighborhoods with the quality of life that everyone desires and deserves. NNO also helps to build partnerships & trust between police & community. Although NNO is a one day/night of the year event, neighbors repeatedly report that the neighbors they meet that day help to build stronger neighborhoods throughout the year. The relationships enable them to stay connected to one another, and help to encourage dialogue between each other so if they see or hear activities, they inform each other.
Last year’s NNO involved citizens, law enforcement agencies, businesses, and neighborhood organizations. In all there were over 15,000 communities nationwide and over 37 million people participated in NNO 2013!
National Night Out is designed to:
- Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness
- Generate support for, and participation in, local anticrime programs
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships, and
- Send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and will not tolerate their criminal behavior
Neighborhoods choose what works for them as far as what and how they will hold their events. Along with the traditional block parties, may neighbors ‘celebrate’ NNO with events and activities such as:
- Cook outs
- Pot luck dinners
- Games, sidewalk chalk
- Parades and treasure hunts
- EVERYONE AGREES TO TURN ON THEIR PORCH OR OUTSIDE LIGHTS!